Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tip #76: Teach to Learn

Raindrops - Tamarack Nature Center, MN
Canon 5D MarkII + Canon 100mm f2.8IS L
Today was day two, the final day of my Vision Quest Workshop at Tamarack Nature Center. This eleven participant program was a mix of instruction, slide presentation and field work. While the weather reminded us that Spring in Minnesota is unpredictable, all of the students endured a cold drizzly morning and tried to apply the lessons learned from the previous day. 

Tamarack Study - Tamarack Nature Center, MN
Canon 7D + Canon 300mm f2.8IS L

During our image review session, I realized how much I enjoy teaching and sharing my experiences with others. The enthusiasm of the participants was infectious, and it demonstrated that each of has inner artist just waiting to be set free. My students - teens and working adults alike - immersed themselves in the experience, took many risks and broke with their established practices.
Two-Heads (Meleagris gallopavo) - Tamarack Nature Center, MN
Canon 7D + Canon 300mm f2.8IS L
However, my intent is not to brag about my program or advertise my future events.  What I offer you today, is recognition for the way that I’ve grown as a result of the experience. 
Spring Lupine (Lupinus perennis) - Tamarack Nature Center, MN
Canon 7D + Canon 300mm f2.8IS L
Teaching forces reflective practice. By planning new lessons and presentations that focus on “Vision,” “Composition,” “Creative Exposure” and our “Tools,” I educated myself about my own approach to photography. We are always so busy doing, that we rarely take the time to articulate what we do to ourselves. This reflective practice and desire to share my this focus with others allowed me to focus on myself. In teaching my craft, I have learned more about my own approach to photography than I have in a very long time.
©2000-2012 BTLeventhal.com / Bruce & Tamy Leventhal. All rights reserved. No image on this site may be used without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment